Friday 8 April 2016

Aaliyah and her fur sister Opie


I feel like I should have wrote this post ages ago as I had concerns about brining Aaliyah home to Opie. I was always worried that Opie wouldn't get along with a new baby or get jealous...however I did not expect Opie to have a change of heart towards me!

After the birth, I was in hospital for 5 days straight...Max was able to go home every day and see Opie. He brought her blankets home each time so she could get use to her scent. She seemed intrigued but calm. When we came home from hospital with Aaliyah we were sure to have a proper introduction and let Opie meet her nice and calm. However when I came in to get my cuddles from her she completely ignored me! She walked straight pass me and to my mother-in-law who had been feeding her and caring for her while I was away. 5 days!! Thats all it took for her to hate me! 
OK that's a bit of an exaggeration but I could really tell she was not happy with me for being away for so long and then coming home with a human puppy lol. 

Towards the end of my pregnancy I wasn't working so I was home with Opie all day..we did everything together...she would walk with me, nap with me, and just hang out. SO I can imagine her reaction when all of a sudden I left...and returned (unable to walk her or play with her) with a little human pretty much on my hip 24/7. So onto of having some emotions about being a new mom...I had added feelings about my first baby not loving me anymore...it was not a great for 2 weeks of motherhood for me to say the least! 

Once I was able to walk around a bit more, I made sure I gave Opie as much attention as I could. She wasn't really having it though...if she was on the couch and I sat next to her, she would move! I was so sad! I wanted instant love between Opie, Aaliyah and myself. I was persistent and did most my feeds in the same room as Opie and trying to sit next to her haha. Her relationship with Aaliyah is more uninterested than anything...a newborn can do nothing for her so she doesn't really care for it. I think when Aaliyah is able to walk and give her attention than she will be more interested. Opie does give her kisses and a good sniff when she can. 

6 weeks on and its sooo much better! Opie will sit next to us and shows a little more interested in Aaliyah as she is starting to focus on objects and interact. We would never allow Opie to be in the same room as Aaliyah alone but she is very gentle with her (with reminder) and always goes in for kisses! 

Whenver Aaliyah has playtime and tummy time on her mat, I make sure Opie is close so she can watch or be a part of the activity and feel involved. 

I think Opie loves me again and as Aaliyah gets bigger I have a feeling she will show more interest (especially when Aaliyah starts eating food)

Here are some pictures of our progress :) 

first meeting

watching from a distance

tummy time tutorial 

this is how playtime is currently...just close enough :)

No comments:

Post a Comment